Stinging nettle can be used in different forms for different health benefits. Some use it as a soup, lotion, pills and some use it as a tea. Nettle soup is highly nutritious and can be prepared using accessible cheap and affordable ingredients.
The recipe that follows serves 4-6 people, and can be homemade without spending a fortune.
Ingredients of Homemade Nettle Soup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 leek (this must be finely chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic (chopped)
- 1 yellow potato
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 3 baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
- Half lemon
- 1 cup of wild mushrooms
Cooking Method for the Nettle Homemade Nettle Soup
- Preheat the stove and place a medium pot
- Add shallot, garlic to olive oil. Cook over the heat until it turns golden brown.
- Put potatoes, salt, pepper and vegetable stock. Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes or until tender.
- When the potatoes are cooked add nettle. One must not boil after adding nettles as this is poisonous.
- Remove the pot from heat and let it cool for 10-15 minutes. The hot water will help in neutralizing the sting.
- After cooling it down, add lemon and tarragon and mix again.
What is Important to Note about the Nettle Soup
One must always not reheat the soup or boil after adding the nettle as it is poisonous. The nettle soup is best served as an appetizer with breadcrumbs and is suitable as a winter soup. Moreover, nettle soup cannot be consumed by pregnant women or people with underlying medical conditions as this can lead to serious health damage.
The Benefits of Nettle Soup:
It Helps in Bone Formation
Stinging nettle is beneficial in maintaining calcium content. It is also used by people with arthritis and gait in order to help in the healing of the bones.
Cleanse the Body
Stinging nettle is also used to detoxify the body from dangerous components. It acts as a natural diuretic which helps in eliminating toxins from kidneys. It also helps in the digestive processes.
It can be used in the menstrual cycle
Nettle soup also helps reduce pain during the menstrual cycle. It prevents heavy flow of blood during the menstrual cycle.
Helps in the circulation of blood
Stinging nettle helps in the circulation of blood. It helps to absorb blood in he guy system. It improves the distribution of oxygen in the body. It also helps in boosting energy levels.
It Prevents Kidney Infections
Nettle is also used to prevent kidney infections. It helps clean the gall bladder in order to prevent infections.
Nettle Soup Relieves Pain
Stinging nettle is also used as a stop pain. It reduces different types of pain such as arthritis menstrual pain, labor pain and is used by cancer patients.
In summation, Stinging nettle is one of the natural components that are beneficial to human health. They do not have side effects as it is a natural product.